Begin with reading the introduction here.
DSV Fact sheet

1. Requirements – general

English language requirements

2. How to apply

Select courses
Eligible courses
Briefly about studying at DSV

3. Once you have been accepted

Information letter
Swedish language course
Residence permit
Economy – Finances

4. When you arrive and during the exchange

Introduction – Information sessions
Learning Agreement
Change of study plans

5. Completing your stay at DSV

Official transcript 
Signed documents

Fact sheet about DSV

1. Requirements - general

You must:

  • currently be enrolled at one of our Partner universities
  • be nominated by your home university for a study period abroad at DSV
  • have completed at least one full-time year of studies in computer and systems sciences
  • meet the specific course prerequisites for admission into certain courses
  • meet DSV´s English language proficiency requirements.

English language requirements

In the interest of a meaningful and useful study experience at DSV, you are required to have a good knowledge of the English language, written and spoken. This to give you the possibility to follow lectures, participate in group works and write your assignments and examination.

Proof of English skills, should be equivalent of Swedish upper secondary school course English B/ English 6 or:    

  • IELTS (International English Language Testing Service)
    Academic Module: Overall minimum score of 6.5 (with no section below 5.5).
  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
    Paper Based: Overall minimum score of 575 (with minimum score 4.5 in the written test)
    Internet based: Overall minimum score of 90 (with minimum score 20 in the written test)
  • University of Cambridge and Oxford: Certificate in Advanced English or Diploma of English Studies

Back to top-list

2. How to apply

Start with selecting your courses.

Select courses

Incoming exchange students through DSV´s exchange agreements must take at least 15 ECTS at DSV.

You may enquire if it is possible to take a course at another department at Stockholm University. Another department may accept you to the course, given that there are places available and that you meet the requirements. Usually the coordinators do not know until after the registration period, at the start of the semester, whether or not there will be places available for a specific course.

Please note, schedule conflicts may occur. You may choose courses from the course lists (spring or autumn), provided that you meet the prerequisites specified for each course. It is important that your home university approves of the courses you plan to take at Stockholm University.

Note that some of DSV’s courses are online distance courses. If you want the campus experience during your exchange period, be sure not to select only online courses.


Note that you are not able to write your thesis while you are here and that DSV does not offer internships.


Study system – ECTS and hp

We recommend you to:

  • take two courses in period A-B and two courses in period C-D.

A total of four courses per semester equals fulltime studies = 30 hp/credits. Each course at DSV consists of 7,5 hp/credits. You may register for 30 hp/credits plus a Swedish language course each semester.

It is important that you carefully check that: 

  • you meet the prerequisites of each course 
  • the course is offered during the semester you plan to be an exchange student at DSV 
  • you choose the courses in cooperation with your home university  

Drop/Add period
You may drop and add a course at the first week of the course period.

When you select courses for your learning agreement, the list of eligible courses might not be updated yet. In this case we recommend your study plan to be made according to the list of the previous academic year. The list for the following semester updates in May and November. The list may vary, therefore it might be necessary for you to choose a new course once the final course list is decided.

You will be requested to send in your Learning Agreement by e-mail before a given date.

Eligible courses

Note, before you participate in a class, you need to be enrolled for the course.

List of eligible courses for exchange students - Autumn semester
List of eligible courses for exchange students - Spring semester

To find specific information and schedule of a course, please visit Courses and timetables.

  • Select correct semester in the drop-down menu
  • Click on the course name
  • Select English


When you are nominated, you will receive an email from the International Coordinator with a link to the application form.

For further information, please read our DSV Fact sheet

Application deadline

Please note, your online application must be made no later than:
15 April - for the autumn semester or an academic year.
15 October - for the spring semester.

Late or incomplete applications will not be handled after the deadline!

Briefly about studying at DSV

It helps to know that:

  • the courses at DSV are more theoretical than practical
  • most courses end with a written exam
  • exams are anonymous
  • the Department practices a Code of Honour
  • the Department uses several online administration systems (Daisy, Ilearn, DSV Play). You submit your group work and assignments to the online study platform Ilearn where you will also find videos of lectures, course information and chat forums.

Back to top-list

3. Once you have been accepted

We are pleased that you have chosen to be an international exchange student at Department of Computer and Systems Sciences, DSV, at Stockholm University.  As soon as you have received your Letter of Acceptance from DSV there are a number of important tasks to look into, such as course selection, residence permit/visa, insurance, and other practical information.

Information letter

You will find all information in your information letter from the International coordinator regarding your study-start with us.

Swedish language course

On top of your exchange studies you have the opportunity to take a Swedish language course. The course is offered free of charge. Information on registration etc. is presented during Orientation Day at Stockholm University.

For more information, please visit the website of Department of Swedish Language and Multilingualism.
Note: This department is located at the main campus Frescati.

Residence Permit

Depending on your country of origin you may need to apply for a visa or residence permit in order to study in Sweden. The responsible authority in Sweden is Migrationsverket -  Swedish Migration Agency.

  • Students from outside of the EU/EEA must apply for a residence permit (uppehållstillstånd in Swedish), this should be done directly after receiving the Letter of Acceptance. Please visit for details regarding the application process and application forms.
  • EU/EEA citizens do not need a residence permit and do not need to register upon arrival.
  • Nordic citizens are free to spend time and live in Sweden without having to register at the Swedish Migration Agency.

For further information:

Economy - Finances

The Swedish Migration Board requires that you are able to support yourself financially in order to receive a visa, residence permit or right of residency in Sweden. Information regarding required sum total and updated information of living costs in Sweden.

Please note that there are no grants or scholarships offered by Stockholm University to cover the costs of staying in Sweden as an exchange student.


We recommend that you do a medical check-up before you leave your home for several months. If you use medication, make sure that the prescriptions you will need during your stay are valid long enough so that you can rely on a medication that you are familiar with.

EU/EEA/Swiss citizens and the European Health Insurance Card
When you study as an exchange student at Stockholm University, you are insured by Student IN (an overall insurance, read below). Note, that you need to read what Student IN covers and find out if you need extra cover for your specific situation. We strongly recommend that you make sure you have a complete insurance cover (including your belongings) to avoid extreme costs that might otherwise occur.

If you are a citizen of any of the EU/EEA member countries or Switzerland you need to bring the European Health Insurance Card, issued by the social insurance office in your home country. The card states that you are entitled to health care with the same conditions and at the same price as permanent residents in Sweden. Bring the card whenever you seek medical care.

Non EU/EEA citizens
When you study as an exchange student at Stockholm University, you are insured by Student IN (an overall insurance, read below). Note, that you need to read what Student IN covers and find out if you need extra cover for your specific situation. We strongly recommend that you make sure you have a complete insurance cover (including your belongings) to avoid extreme costs that might otherwise occur.

If you are a citizen outside of the EU/EEA, you may need to arrange some of your own insurance coverage. Medical treatment is very expensive in Sweden without any form of insurance. Contact your insurance company regarding what type of coverage they offer, e.g. health, accident, travel and theft.

Student IN insurance for Exchange students
All exchange students are insured by Student IN, covered by Kammarkollegiet (the Swedish State Insurance for Foreign Students in Sweden). This coverage is restricted to your study period at Stockholm University and extends only to claims arising while you are physically present in Sweden. The insurance applies 24-hours a day and includes:

  • Disability and death coverage 
  • Property coverage
  • Home transport coverage 
  • Liability coverage
  • Legal expenses coverage

Please note that if you travel outside of Sweden during your stay, you will not be covered by the Student IN insurance.

In some cases, the Student IN insurance covers necessary and reasonable costs for emergency medical care or dental care when the insured student, during the policy term, suffers illness or in case of an accident. This insurance applies to exchange students who are not citizens of a Nordic country, or an EU/EEA Member State, Switzerland or another Convention country regarding medical benefits, or are registered in Sweden (and therefore have a Swedish personal identification number) or for other reasons pay the same health care fees as people resident in Sweden. This insurance does not apply if the student receives compensation from another insurance.

If you need to seek medical care and the Student IN insurance applies to you, do the following:

  • Visit for example Närakuten and pay the fees. Save all original receipts.
  • Complete a claims form.
  • Contact DSV International Office with the filled out claims form together with original receipts.

For detailed information about the Student IN insurance


Stockholm University tries to assist exchange students with accommodation. The Housing Office manages a limited number of corridors and studio apartments in Stockholm. Keep in mind, they cannot guarantee accommodation for all exchange students.

Application for housing
The application is made after you have received the Letter of Acceptance.

  • The Housing Office will inform all admitted exchange students on how to apply for housing by e-mail in May/October.
  • You may choose if you would prefer to stay in a room in a student corridor or in a student apartment. To find the different housing areas that Stockholm University has to offer, have a look at Housing areas.
  • You will receive an e-mail whether you get housing or not in the end of June or in the end of November depending on your arrival.  

Note: Your application will be handled by the Housing Office. For more information, please visit the website of Housing Office.  

If you are not offered housing
We strongly recommend you to look for other accommodation possibilities as soon as you are accepted as an exchange student since it is very difficult to find accommodation in Stockholm. Finding housing on your own

Back to top-list

4. When you arrive and during the exchange

You will receive two emails from the Coordinators:

  1. The information letter - The email contains a link to our website with information regarding important dates, your courses and more.
  2. An email regarding enrolment and practical information.


Arrival Service
Arrival service is available at Arlanda Airport. Find information about the Arrival Service at the website of Stockholm University. Information will be updated closer to the arrival date.

Introduction – Information sessions

Introduction for all new international students include a variety of activities to help you settle in smoothly at Stockholm University. We highly recommend you to arrive on time to attend:

  • Information session at Campus Kista DSV
    You will receive information about our department, our internal systems and how to obtain an access card. Please bring proof of identity, e.g. passport. You will also meet DSV´s Student Union DISK.
    You will find information on exact time and date in your information letter.
    Find us in Kista​
  • Orientation Week at main Campus Frescati
    Orientation Week is designed to assist you to settle into university life at Stockholm University. The week will be filled with activities. Updated information will be found at Orientation Week.
    Find Campus Frescati
  • Orientation Day during Orientation Week at main Campus Frescati
    Stockholm University´s Orientation Day. You will receive information about practical matters such as banking, student health care, computer accounts, university card, Swedish language courses and student union activities. 

    You will find information on exact time and date in your information letter.

Learning Agreement

Any documents that need to be signed upon arrival, e.g. Certificate of Attendance, Arrival/Departure form or Learning Agreements will be signed by the DSV International Office.

Change of study plans

If you will not be able to pursue your plans to study at DSV, you must notify DSV International Office as soon as possible.

Change of course

If you want to drop-out from, change or add a course after arriving at DSV, these are the steps to follow:

Change/add course
Do you want to switch one course for another or select a new course? In general, it is not possible to join a course later than one week after it has started. 

  • Check the website Exchange students - Eligible courses. Make sure that you meet the prerequisites and that the course has not yet started.
  • Contact your home university and make sure they agree with your choice.
  • Please contact DSV International Office via e-mail.       
  • If you receive a positive response, fill in the form “Changes to Learning Agreement”. Get it signed by the International Coordinator.
  • Send the “Changes to Learning Agreement” to your home university.

Drop-out from Course
Do you want to drop-out from a course?

  • Contact your home university and make sure it is OK to drop the course.
  • Please inform DSV International Office in an e-mail.      
  • Fill in the form “Changes to Learning Agreement” and get it signed by the International Coordinator.
  • Send the “Changes to Learning Agreement” to your home university.


Here you find guidance on what to do if you fall ill or have an accident.

  • Emergency number in Sweden: 112
  • Emergency number at Stockholm University: 08-16 22 16
  • The Stockholm Health Care Guide Hotline: 1177

Student Health Service Unit
As a student at Stockholm University you are able to contact the Student Health Service Unit if you deal with any physical, psychological or social problems that may affect your study situation. The Student Health Service Unit has a reception desk at Campus Frescati and at Studentpalatset next to Odenplan. All visits are free of charge. DSV also has staff who is available to give support in case of emergency.
Student Health Service Unit

The Stockholm Health Care Guide Hotline
You may ask the Stockholm Health Care Guide Hotline (Vårdguiden) for advice about health care round the clock all year. If you call 1177 you will gain general information or health advice from a nurse.
1177 Vårdguiden

Read about the Student IN insurance above

Back to top-list

5. Completing your stay at DSV

Official transcript 

Upon completion of your exchange studies, the official transcript of records will be sent to the coordinator of your home university. All courses for which you have received a passing grade (E or higher) will be stated in your transcript.

The transcript will be sent as soon as all the results have been reported which usually takes approximately one month after the last exam of the semester. If you need a copy earlier, please print out from My University.

Signed documents

Do you need the coordinators at DSV International Office to sign documents, please visit the drop-in reception or email  
Back to top-list