Resident permit

If you are a citizen of a country outside of the EU/EEA and have to apply for a residence permit (at the Swedish Migration board) for your studies in Sweden, please be aware of the following rules regarding extension of your permit:

If you have a scholarship or if you pay a tuition fee, you must be enrolled for 30 credits (full time studies) each semester, to be able to prolong your resident permit.

You are required to take 15 credits during the first year, 22.5 credits during the second year and 30 credits during the third and subsequent years.


  1. You must apply for an extension of your permit well in advance of expiration of your current permit. The Migration Board does not send reminders. Information about the time it takes for a decision is available on the Migration Board’s website.

    Here you will find information about how to apply and which documents you need to submit with your application. 
  2. If you are a first-year master’s student, you need the following documents regarding your studies and you do not have to contact a student counsellor:
    - a transcript of your records
    - an enrolment certificate

    You can print your own verifiable transcripts from Ladok using your SU account. You can also request these documents from the Student Affairs Office.
  3. If you are in your last year of studies and not able to complete your studies within the estimated duration of the programme, you may need an additional letter from a student counsellor. Please contact us at well in advance. We will provide you with the letter within a week from when we receive your request.

If you have any questions regarding the residence permit and how to apply, please contact the Swedish Migration Board.


Important if you live in an SSSB accommodation!

If you live in a student accommodation with SSSB, you are required to take at least 15 credits per semester.

SSSB carries out a tenancy review each semester in order to check that you meet the study requirements that must be fulfilled and that you are a student union member.

Make sure that you meet the required credits each semester. If, for some reason, you are not allowed to register for more courses within your programme at DSV (e.g. if you do not meet the prerequisites for the second year of study or if you have studied for more than two years) you are still responsible for completing the required amount of credits. If needed, make sure to apply for new courses at when you cannot meet the requirements in any other way. 

More information at